Pages

Wednesday 10 October 2012

I love London (sometimes)

I was thinking about not getting my five miles in today. Stomach still hurt from yesterday, blister hadn't gone down completely, but I knew I had to run so I did what I always do when I'm in that mood.

I put on my running clothes.

Because once the clothes and trainers are on you're basically so plagued with guilt that you have to leave the house...well, that's what I find.

And I am SO glad I went out. The Southbank put on its best face - glorious landmarks, happy friends and tourists wondering about, the air filled with buskers' songs and the crisp chill of Autumn. The five sub-10 minute miles! (miracle!)

a rubbish shot of a bridge, it's really all like BAM! I'M A BEAUTIFUL LANDMARK

Until recently I was having a bad patch with London, we weren't really speaking. I was beating up it's streets and London was steadfastly ignoring my efforts.

I think I didn't want to accept that it was autumn when there hadn't been a proper glorious London summer. And on top of that feeling, my brain recently acknowledged that the summer where I met an American boy, and the summer when he left town, was over. I can't say I was madly in love or he was "the one" or any of that crap but he made me laugh, and also made me think. He was just one of those special people that maybe it's only better to know for a short time so they always remain unique and amazing in your mind.

But I feel with Autumn properly making its mark now, London has returned to being my London, and not the slightly whirlwind London that I shared with him for a bit. And I always did like my London.

No comments:

Post a Comment